Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Things LonelyPlanet.com doesn't say about India:

A list of things I’ve learned, experienced, and/or thought while here:

1. India is incredibly diverse- Traveling from the north (Delhi, Agra, Varanasi) to the south (Bangalore, Mysore) the food has changed, the climate has changed (north = very hot, humid, rainy; south = hot, cool at night, not as much rain), and the way people respond to me has changed (or maybe I’ve fallen into being here better?). Correction, Chennai, where I am now, is the hottest place I have ever been in my life.
2. I’ve been anxious a few times, but never scared- unless I was discovering a new mosquito bite. Only in the most expensive place I’ve stayed so far did I have mosquitoes in my room at night. In Varansai, we lavished ourselves in 35% DEET whenever we ventured from our rooms.
3. Every time someone has talked to me about our country, they have also mentioned how happy they are about Obama- without me bringing him up.
4. They drive on the opposite side of the road and of the car.
5. There are many, many Hindu gods. (I was told there were 1000’s today) and people often worship different ones more or less during different times of their lives.
6. In Varanasi, I was told that at cremations, the lead family member walks around the body 5 times symbolizing the 5 elements, and at the end of the ceremony, they are to walk away from the body without looking back. This lets the loved one know that the connection is broken and not to follow you as a ghost.
7. Soda here is sweeter, even diet, because many people here like sweets, A LOT.
8. I’ve ran into a lot of squat toilets here- fortunately, I’ve always had western toilets in my rooms.
9. Internet service is random in most places I have been, but cell phone coverage is amazing.
10. There are cows, goats, and dogs everywhere. There are chickens, and sometimes pigs too. They roam the streets- and in many places they are released from their owners in the morning, and they return home at night by themselves. Not the dogs- if you come to India be prepared to have your heart broken every day by the masses of starving, and in many cases wounded dogs.
11. Indian kids are among some of the friendliest, most curious kids I have ever met. They always smile at me, and they make me smile every single day.
12. I haven’t washed my clothes since I left America.
13. This seems to be a touchy, feely culture. Men hold hands, women hold hands, kids and young people even get really close to me in the streets when talking to me. When young one’s want chocolate, they have gotten into my pockets and have grabbed my hand trying to get me to go to the store.
14. Indian women have beautiful hair and it’s unusual to see an older female without long hair.
15. It’s always unbelievable to the people that have asked me that I’m not married. It seems to be really important for women in this culture to be married.
16. I rarely see women working in shops. Today was the first time I was helped by a woman in a store, and only men work tables in restaurants (so far).
17. Shante shante means relax. We would spell it shanty, but I was told by my friend Sameer that it is spelled with an e?
18. The lanes on the roads here aren’t marked, except only briefly and inconsistently in Bangalore, so far. This means that there are at times 3,4, and sometimes 5 rows across of cars, rickshaws and trucks. Honking is the way you let others know you are beside them. I swear I have hearing damage from the incessant honking horns.
19. It is always rush hour in India.
20. Women ride on the back of motorcycles like they are riding side-saddle on a horse. I think the obvious reason is that they are wearing sari’s, but I bet it’s also because it’s more modest.
21. There are often entire families on one motorcycle plus groceries! I’m not making that up.
22. India has more color and beauty in their everyday clothes than any place I have ever been. The vivid, colorful landscape of saris on the street is like a feast for your eyes.
23. The hotels, auto-rickshaw drivers, taxi-drivers, and business owners are all working together to help travelers spend money.
24. Chances are, when bargaining you will end up with the price you want. Chances are also that in doing so, you will miss the opportunity to learn about where you are and maybe even miss out on a new friendship.
25. Many Hindu’s do not let their lips touch the bottle, glass, or cup they are drinking from.
26. In south India many people eat with their hands. Even when eating rice and gravy.
27. A group of young men approached me yesterday and asked where I was from. After I told them America they bashfully asked me if they could each stand next to me for a picture. Of course I obliged.
28. The only bathrooms I have used that supplied toilet paper have been in the airport, except for Varanasi where they had squat toilets and no paper.
29. I have only met one other American since I’ve been here and rarely see others that could be.
30. People from different areas of India don’t necessarily speak the same language. Today I helped one woman with a question because the other women couldn’t understand what she was saying, but they could both understand English. Both women were Indian.
31. I’ve talked to people here that separate themselves (their class) based on whether or not they have clean water in their homes. What you drive isn’t important.
32. I think there is great national pride here.
33. Even with all the circumstances I have seen in India, the pervading sense of hope and optimism is palpable.
34. I will come back to India again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Angie! Thanks for all of your beautiful and insightful comments! I am going to start saving my money, because when you go back to India I want to go with you!!! Take care! Namaste! Shannon

    ReplyDelete